David Copperfield Rehearsal Day Four

This Thursday, I could see the whole cast moulded to become a large group of close friends. We've all cultivated a strong bond in which we can support each other. This helps with learning lines and feeling comfortable acting alongside one another. I believe this amazing accomplishment must be due to our active staff and experienced elder members. They've always helped create a friendly atmosphere for fresh faces.

We started our morning by being guided through a warm-up by one of our directors. This warm-up's purpose was to improve our confidence in performing on stage and in front of others. We were taught to be conscious of our posture and habits on stage. We also created a circle in which we took turns to stand in the middle, look into everyone's eyes and introduce ourselves. I thought I could show more confidence by placing myself in everyone's faces instead of standing in the middle. I was nervous at first, but I found this to be a perfect opportunity to show off my inner sass. Successfully, this warm-up inspired me to focus on my posture at all times when on stage.

After the warm-up, we banded together to play some team building games. Obviously I was amazing at them, and it also gave me positive attitude throughout rehearsals. This helped me apply more effort into the scenes in which I contributed. We then went through the opening scene trying to perfect it. With great effort I pulled my imaginary rope in a choreographed set routine. Similar to a dance, we all moved sharply to a count of eight. It was hard staying in time with each other, especially when we had no audio or visual prompt.


For a while I wasn't needed on stage so I sat with some of my friends and read through my lines. I repeated them, without looking at the script, over and over again to sketch the words into my mind. I then talked to the others about their lines, characters or just general knowledge. I think time in between work to bond with your cast members is very important.

Thom Collett (Young David in David Copperfield)


After lunch we gathered on the stage. We went through all the scenes we have produced so far. Even when waiting in the wings I'm still a part of the performance. We all help create atmosphere by using soundscape. Everyone contributes their own unique sounds to the scene whether it's whistles like wind or physically drumming like the pattering of rain. I think it helps to keep everyone focused on which scenes are currently being performed. We can't lose track of what's happening and things like phones and chats with your mates can take away your attention. This is how keeping everyone in the wings involved can help.


Rufus Law
(Richard Babley in David Copperfield)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Copperfield Rehearsal Day Eight

Hollow - show tomorrow!

Last Rehearsals